Some of you might be aware that this year our wonderful librarian, Mrs. Tomadakis, hosted our first ever Battle of the Books here at Salem Junior High. The competition is a knowledge bowl style competition with questions focused around 20 books from a reading list given to the students a few months prior to the competition. Each member or the four or five person teams was responsible for reading and knowing the books assigned to them. Then, during the competition, they were asked questions about the books and they had to come together as a team to answer those questions.
Competition was fierce and the majority of the teams knew their books really well. Each team faced every other team and the winner was determined by a total of points gained from each round. This was just the first round. The top two teams will be going with Mrs. Tomadakis to the district book battle Februrary 3rd at Payson Jr.
At the end of the day the two teams that will move on to districts were the Fluffy Bunny Book Burners and in a close second, The Librarians. Congratulations to both of these teams and thank you to everyone who participated. Good luck in the district finals.
Here is the book list they read if you are interested in reading any of these titles:
- Firegirl - Tony Abbott
- Al Capone Does My Shirts - Gennifer Choldenko
- Dead End in Norvelt - Jack Gantos
- Nory Ryan's Song - Patricia R. Giff
- Fish in a Tree - Lynda Mullaly Hunt
- Breaking Through - Francisco Jimenez
- The Tail of Emily Windsnap - Liz Kessler
- Hattie Big Sky - Kirby Larson
- Call of the Wild - Jack London
- Touching Spirit Bear - Ben Mikaelsen
- Black Star, Bright Dawn - Scott O'Dell
- Project Mulberry - Linda Sue Park
- The Teacher's Funeral - Richard Peck
- Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
- Missing May - Cynthia Rylant
- Fuzzy Mud - Louis Sachar
- Wednesday Wars - Gary D. Schmidt
- Bomb - Steve Sheikin
- Uglies - Scott Westerfield
- Devil's Arithmetic - Jane Yolen